As the proprietor of Building Sense Limited, I’m extremely pleased to welcome you to the site.
I’ve been involved in far too many things to mention over the years, but the following should give you a good flavour of my experience, and how Building Sense can assist you and your clients.
You can find out more information about me and the services offered by Building Sense on this website, and also by connecting with me via the social media links at the top of the page.
Of course the old fashioned way, over the phone or a one to one meeting is just as welcome! Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you think there is mutual business benefit.
Mark Newman is a highly experienced commercial Chartered Building Surveyor with over 12 years PQE, and a passion for buildings and property since the age of 15 – during GCSE work experience. The core focus is on service delivery, helpfulness, client satisfaction and retention.
Specialist in commercial and residential project and refurbishment management and pre-acquisition surveys. Also highly accomplished at: dilapidations, PPM schedules, schedules of condition, feasibility reports, employers agent roles, insurance Reinstatement Cost Assessments (RCA’s) and complex property insurance matters.
Considered by friends, colleagues and clients as hard working and trustworthy; well respected for honesty, integrity and level headedness. Active interests in mountain biking, landscape photography, IT and new technologies are pursued.
MARK NEWMAN: EXPERIENCE
Experienced in engaging and leading multi-disciplinary teams, advising on procurement routes and contracts from £5k, to £1.7m, and everything in between including:
- Cat. A office, industrial and retail refurbishments
- Various sub division projects, the create smaller more marketable demises, from offices to retail warehouses.
- Phased resurfacing of busy retail park car park whilst it remained open.
- Residential refurbishments up to £1.2m
- Flat conversions to former offices above shops
- Design and supervision of new dwellings
- Repair, refurbishments and alterations to Listed Buildings, including Listed Building Consent
- Alterations and refurbishments to Schools
- Many re-roofing projects, from overcladding asbestos sheet roofs, to built up felt coverings, slating and tiling, asphalt, large lead dressed roofs and inverted roofs.
Highly experienced in the preparation of Schedules of Dilapidations for Landlords, and negotiating claims for Landlords and tenants for a range of clients, and across most sectors and property types, to values up to £1.4m, including:
- conditional break clauses
- exit strategies
- the use of S.18 valuations
- preparing FRS12 assessments
Commercial Pre-Acquisition Surveys
Pre-acquisition surveys across the commercial sector for investors and occupiers, including:
- Due diligence on a landmark office development including building surveys with dilapidations assessments and client specific bespoke reporting formats for various national retailers. Value £22.5m.
- Acquisition surveys of modern detached office buildings for fund clients/asset managers.
- Listed buildings in commercial use in town centre and rural locations.
- City centre and out of town retail developments.
- Industrial facilities, both modern and old.
Residential Building Surveys
- From one bedroom appartments, to luxury houses up to £3.6m
- Grade II* Listed buildings
Various Employer’s Agent roles undertaken, most notably:
- Client side monitoring and supervision of a new build community sports facility: value £2.5m.
Schedules of Condition
Experienced in the preparation of detailed photographic schedules of condition on all property types, including:
- Warehouses to 100,000sq ft.
- Offices to 60,000sq ft
- Motor vehicle workshops
- Transport terminals
- Colleges and schools